Childs Hill & Claremont Federation
Childs hill primary header 6


The Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Code of Practice states that:

“A pupil has SEND where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, that is provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age.”

In responding to the new SEND Code of Practice, all Barnet Local Authority (LA) maintained schools set out to deliver an equivalent and fair provision for children and young people with SENDs. This means that schools work towards ensuring all pupils make the best possible progress and that all schools are supported by the LA to be as inclusive as possible.

The SEND Code of Practice sets out four broad categories of need. These are

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  • Sensory and Physical Needs

Barnet have produced a document advising what is ordinarily available in their maintained schools. This is the Ordinarily Available Document listed below.

What is the Local Offer?

  • Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and review information about educational provision available for children and young people with SEND under the Children and Families Bill. This is known as the ‘Local Offer’.
  • The Local Offer should help parents and families know what they can reasonably expect from their local school

Barnet’s Local Offer

Who is the Inclusion Team at Childs Hill School?

The SENCO, Luke Ward:

Responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy
  • Liaising with other professionals who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist
  • Updating the school’s SEND Profile and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best possible progress.
  • Attending and contributing to the school weekly welfare meetings.
  • Ensuring that you are
  • Involved in supporting your child’s learning
  • Informed about the support your child is receiving
  • Informed about your child’s progress
The Assistant Head Teacher, Concetta Preller:

Responsible for:

  • Leading staff and pupils in our whole school Restorative Approach
  • Line managing Learning Mentors and therapists working within the school
  • Overseeing general pupil welfare and liaising with parents
  • Attending and contributing to the school weekly welfare meetings.
The Executive Head Teacher, Dan Hawkins:

Responsible for:

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND
  • Ensuring the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.
The Pathways Leader, Katerina Flynn:

Responsible for:

  • Line managing Pathways teachers and support staff
  • The educational provision in Pathways
  • Home-school liaison for pupils and their families in Pathways
  • Liaising with other professionals who visit the school to support children in Pathways
The SEND Governor, Emma Casey:

Responsible for:

  • Seeking to ensure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.

In addition, Janet Higgins is the Welfare Officer, Sarah Nicholls and Rob Kazandjian, Senior Learning Mentors.  

All of the above can be contacted via the school office by phone or email:

020 8452 4531

How does the school know if my child needs extra help?

Each term your child’s teacher along with the support of the SENCO and Inclusion team will monitor and check on your child’s progress at a pupil progress meeting. Pupil progress meetings happen three times a year and are built into the overall school approach of monitoring the progress and development of all pupils at Childs Hill. Pupil progress meetings will normally reveal whether your child has any gaps in their learning and understanding and whether they need any extra support to help them make the best possible progress.  A child can be making less than expected progress if

  • Their progress is significantly slower than that of their peers
  • They fail to match or better their previous rate of progress
  • They fail to close the attainment gap with their peers

This can also include progress in areas other than attainment – for example around progress with wider development or social needs.

The team around your child at Childs Hill will then look at the sort of support that can be made available.

What are the different types of support on offer at Childs Hill if my child is identified as having SEND?

Quality First Teaching 

This means that your child’s teacher will have the highest expectations for your child and that all teaching is built upon what your child already knows, can do and can understand. Teachers will set targets for their pupils which are ambitious and will identify potential areas of difficulty in the planning of lessons. At Childs Hill we recognise that all children are individuals. Your child’s teacher will put teaching strategies in place to ensure that all children have full access to the national curriculum. This may involve extra personalisation for your child such as adapting curriculum materials and equipment, seating arrangements (e.g. sitting nearer the front, away from distractions), learning styles (e.g. having instructions broken down into smaller parts) or providing learning breaks (e.g. needing to move between tasks to refocus).

Teachers and other adults in the classroom work closely together to give targeted supported according to your child’s needs.

SEND support  

According to his or her individual needs, your child may be placed on a school provision map and be provided with one or more of the following types of support.

  • Targeted group withdrawal/adult support in class according to the area of need e.g. writing, maths, guided reading
  • Targeted individual support from an adult in class/withdrawal according to the area of need e.g. one to one reading support with a school TA, parent volunteer or a trained volunteer from the community
  • Individual intervention programmes such as Toe by Toe
  • The use of visual timetables and resources created specifically for your child
  • Differentiation of resources e.g. word banks, talk tokens, numicon in order to support tasks in class.
  • Learning mentor support  for individuals or small groups delivered by Sarah Nichols (Senior Learning Mentor)
  • Speech and Language groups
  • Social skills groups
  • Motor skills group (fine and gross motor)
  • Additional targeted clubs during lunch time or after school  e.g. art club, games club
  • Breakfast club
  • Play therapy for individuals or small groups
  • CAMHS in School Service
  • Project X
  • Lego Therapy
  • Peer Tutors
  • Terapia
  • Phonic buddies
  • An individual work station
Outside professional support:

Sometimes an outside specialist may be involved around the needs of your child. This may be someone from the Local Authority central services, such as an Educational Psychologist, a Speech Therapist, an Occupational Therapist, or an Advisory Teacher. Outside specialist support may also include CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services).

You will always be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s specific needs better and advise on effective support and interventions.

On the occasions where a child has a significant, severe and sustained need, it may be necessary to enter a multi-disciplinary process and request an Education, Health and Care needs assessment.

Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP):

  • This type of support is for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.
  • An EHC Plan will outline the outcomes expected and the types of support your child will receive from the Local Authority and how this should be used. It will also outline what strategies are to be put in place for your child along with long and short-term goals.
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child with working in class, one to one sessions or small group work involving your child.

How do we monitor your child’s progress and how do we keep you informed?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by their class teacher and is formally reviewed each term at pupil progress. Following pupil progress meetings, your child’s class teacher, the SENCO, the deputy head teacher and other adults working with your child will discuss the range of provision and support  your child may need.

It is important that any provision put in place to support your child is successful and makes a difference to their learning and well-being.

If your child is being given any additional support, they will be placed on a provision map which will include the following: agreed outcomes, type and frequency of provision, adults involved, review date and whether outcomes have been met. Not all children on a provision map will be at SEND support.

If your child is at SEND support they may also have an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) which outlines the ways in which provision for your child has been personalised and targeted. An ILP will normally have three or four targets around your child’s specific needs and the strategies that are being put in place to support your child.

The school uses the Assess, Plan, Do and Review graduated approach as outlined in the SEND Code of Practice 2014. This means that your child is constantly kept under review and that if they are not making progress through a particular provision or support, staff can consider alternative approaches.

You will be kept informed of your child’s progress in a variety of ways including, termly ILP meetings, informal discussions, parent evenings and consultation meetings.

If your child has an EHC Plan, their progress will be reviewed as above and in addition to this formally reviewed at an annual review where all adults involved with the child’s education are invited to attend or submit reports.

How is my child’s progress measured?

Your child’s progress is measured at different points throughout the year and will vary according to the where they are in the school. For example, if your child is in the Nursery or Foundation Stage, they use an app called ‘Tapestry’ which tracks developmental stages rather than national curriculum levels.

Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by the class teacher and formally each term at pupil progress meetings held within school. Pupil progress meetings are scheduled following termly assessments for all year groups. In addition to this and at the end of Key Stage 1 and 2 most children will sit a Standard Assessment Test (SATs). SATs results are published locally and nationally. Under new legislation your child will now be assessed against age expected outcomes.

How is extra support allocated to children at Childs Hill?

The Local Authority sets the annual SEND budget for the school.

The head teacher in consultation with the governing body decides on the budget for special educational needs and disabilities on the basis of needs in the school.·

The head teacher and the Inclusion Team discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

o   The children getting extra support already

o   The children needing extra support

o   The children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

They then decide what resources/training and support is needed. All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

How will school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • Plan next steps and learning outcomes for your child
  • Discuss any further assessments or referrals that might take place in school or with outside professionals to support your child’s learning
  • Listen to any concerns you may have

Who should I talk to if I am worried about my child’s progress and I think my child may have special educational needs?

If you are concerned about your child’s progress, you should always speak to your child’s class teacher in the first instance.

Your child’s class teacher is responsible for monitoring your child’s learning and ensuring they make the best progress they can.

If you continue to have concerns that your child has an unmet special educational need, you should speak to Luke Ward, SENCO.

You can also speak to Concetta Preller, the assistant head teacher, Martin Skillett, the head of school or Dan Hawkins, executive head teacher.

How are the teachers in school supported to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

  • The SENCO alongside the Inclusion Team are available to support in planning for children with SEND
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses both internally and externally to support children in their class and for their own professional development as identified through performance management meetings
  • Support staff are observed by school leaders during lessons and given feedback to improve their practice
  • Support staff have termly performance management meetings with members of the school leadership team and identify a personal target for their own professional development
  • The school has a School Development Plan (SDP) for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. Current training planned are Zones of Regulation, Speech and Language and Attachment Training.  
  • Where appropriate Childs Hill School will make referrals for advice and training from the outreach services such as, Barnet advisory teams.

Who are the people my child will be working with if they have been identified as having SEND?

Along with their class teacher your child may work with one or more of the following people:

School provision – Teaching Assistants working within class, Specialist Reading Teaching Assistant, Learning Mentor, HLTAs (Higher Level Teaching Assistants), P.E. specialist teacher, Trained Reading volunteers, parent volunteers, Play Therapist.

Local Authority and Health Provision delivered in school – Educational Psychologist,  Autistic Advisory Teacher, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Speech and Language Therapy delivered by specialist teacher, School Nurse, Hearing Impairment Team.

Health Provision delivered outside school – CAMHS, Paediatrician, Specialist medical support in hospital

What parental support is available at Childs Hill if my child has SEND needs?

Your child’s class teacher is always willing to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have. We openly encourage parents and carers to share information about what is working well both at home and at school so that consistent successful strategies can be used.

  • The SENCO and other members of the Inclusion Team are available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any worries you may have at any time.
  • All information from outside professionals will be shared with you by the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report or by the SENCO.
  • Individual Learning Plans will be discussed together with the class teacher and SENCO and will be reviewed with your involvement each term.
  • A communication book between home and school may be used when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
  • ‘Meet the Teacher’ evenings and ‘Impact’ sessions held at school will give you curriculum information and ways that you can support your child at home.
  • Parent Evenings will give you information about how your child is progressing

Barnet SEND information, Advice and Support Service

  • BLISS (Barnardo’s London Independent Support Service). This organisation is completely separate to the Local Authority and provides advice and support for families.

What support is available for my child’s overall wellbeing?

Childs Hill is a highly inclusive school which welcomes and celebrates diversity. All teaching staff believe that for children to learn and progress, they must first be settled and happy. They also believe that children must feel valued and safe in their environment. This means that,

  • Your child’s class teacher has responsibility for every child in their class and should therefore always be your first point of contact.
  • Childs Hill is proud of its Restorative Approach (please see the school website for further information)
  • Your child will take part in PSHE(Personal Social Health Economic) Education weekly class sessions with their peers
  • The school works closely as a team and in partnership with parents and outside professionals to address any issues which may arise. This may involve referrals to the Child Adolescent and Mental Health Service (CAMHS), Educational Psychologists,  and/or other specialist educational services.
  • There are weekly welfare meetings attended by the Lunctime Leader, Sally Neaves the assistant head teacher, the SENCO and school Learning Mentor. These provide regular opportunities for key staff to share information around specific children.
  • There is a Peer Support Programme in Pathways in which Year 5 and 6 children from the main school support pupils at playtimes to model appropriate play and social skills.

How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

The school has a policy regarding supporting pupils with medical needs.

Supporting Pupils with Medical NeedsSchool staff  are only able to administer medicines which are prescribed by a doctor and are for an ongoing medical condition. School staff are not able to administer a course of antibiotics.

Your child mayl need to have a Health Care Plan in place for any long term medical conditions.  

As a staff we have regular training and updates of medication and conditions affecting individual children and should any child need medical attention we have trained first aiders to complete an initial assessment.

How is Childs Hill accessible to children with SEND?

Please refer to our accessibility plan.

Accessibility Plan

How will Childs Hill support my child when they are joining or leaving the school? OR moving on to another class/year?

  • We recognise that transition can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible
  •  If your child is moving to another school we will contact the SENCO/Local Authority and ensure that the school is aware of your child’s needs
  • We will ensure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible
When moving classes within school:
  • All children at Childs Hill are informed of their new class and teacher and where possible meet their new teacher in the summer term
  • Children will have a lesson with their new class teacher if the teacher is available during the summer term
  • Information will be passed on to the new teacher at handover meetings. The SENCO will also meet with the team working with your child to go over specific details that will help with transition and that are individual to them
For Year Six children:
  • The SENCO will liaise with the new secondary school during the summer term to ensure the school is aware of the SEND needs of your child. For children with EHC Plans, it is common for staff from secondary schools in Barnet to visit children in primary school and attend the final annual review.
  • Children in Year Six take part in a transition programme which supports their preparation for the changes ahead and this programme is modified to meet the needs of SEND children where appropriate to ensure they can access all areas. This may take the form of in-class group work or individual work to ensure understanding
  • Children usually have several opportunities to visit their new school and are actively encouraged to talk about these visits once back at Childs Hill

How will my child be able to contribute their views?

  • At Childs Hill we value and celebrate each child being able to express their views on all aspects of school life. This is usually done through circle time, discussions with class teachers and teaching assistants and the School Council.
  • Children who have ILPs discuss their targets with their class teacher.
  • Class teacher will ask for verbal and/or written feedback on individual lessons throughout the year.
  • Children’s views on their learning are also gathered at the Annual review of the EHCP or Statement. These views can be verbal, written or pictorial depending upon their needs.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

All children at Childs Hill are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the best support we can offer to ensure this happens. We always take a high number of adults with us and sometimes we ask that children come with their parent or carer so that we can work together to make sure the trip is successful for everyone.

A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off-site activity to ensure everyone’s health and safety is not compromised. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities will take place in the school which will cover the same curriculum areas.

How are the school’s resources allocated to match the needs of SEND children?

We ensure that all children who have special educational needs or disabilities have their needs met to the best of the school’s ability with the funds that are available.

We have a team of TAs and learning support assistants who work with the class teacher and the SENCO to deliver programmes which aim to address learning needs both in the classroom and within smaller intervention programmes for a variety of subject and pastoral areas.

The budget is allocated on a needs basis. Children who have a high-level of need and/or complex needs are given the most support. If there is an EHC Plan in place for a child they are more than likely to have a learning support assistant for a designated number of hours a week.

What if I need to complain?

Firstly we would always say come into school and talk to your child’s class teacher and/or a member of the Inclusion Team.

However parents have the following rights of redress, should the school, governors or LA fail in its duty to provide, or if the parent disagrees with a decision or feels that there is discriminatory practice:

Complaints Policy

  • The disagreement resolution service 
  • Complaints to OFSTED (about whole SEND provision rather than in relation to individual children and where the complaints procedure has not resolved the complaint)
  • An appeal to the SEND First-Tier Tribunal about EHC assessments/plans and/or disability discrimination. This must follow mediation, unless it is a complaint over the naming of a school placement
  • A complaint to the LA Ombudsman (for complaints against LAs if not resolved through the LA complaints procedure)
  • Complaint to the Secretary of State (against schools or LAs)